I’m Mac McCann, a writer based in Austin.
I’m passionate about news, politics, history, religious studies, music (especially hip-hop) and comedy.
I’ve written hundreds of articles on a wide variety of topics. My work has been published in more than a dozen publications, including The Dallas Morning News, The Chicago Tribune, Newsday, The Houston Chronicle, The Seattle Times, Complex, The Charlotte Observer, Sun-Sentinel, The Austin American-Statesman, Reason, Austin Chronicle, Hawaii Tribune-Herald, Dallas Observer, OC Weekly, The La Crosse Tribune, The Intelligencer, The South Bend Tribune, Phoenix New Times, and more.
I graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2016 with a Plan II Honors, Religious Studies Honors, and History triple-major, and a minor in American Studies.
Below, I’ve included links to some of my work:
- “Cutting back on private prisons is progress, but we need to end mass incarceration” – Newsday – August 19, 2016 (This column also appeared in The Dallas Morning News, The Albany Times-Union, The La Crosse Tribune in Wisconsin, The South Bend Tribune in Indiana, The Intelligencer in Pennsylvania, and Hawaii Tribune-Herald, among others).
- “Why Texans shouldn’t tolerate the Electoral College” – The Dallas Morning News – November 18, 2016
- “All men must work to stop rape culture” – The Seattle Times – June 9, 2016 (This column also appeared in The Dallas Morning News, the Sun Sentinel in Florida, The Charlotte Observer in North Carolina, and the Butler Eagle in Pennsylvania).
“For popular rapper, an unusual calling card: sobriety” – The Dallas Morning News – February 14, 2014 (This Points column was highlighted as one of the DMN Editorial Department’s best works of February 2014).
- “‘Southern pride’ is not white supremacy” – The Chicago Tribune – June 19, 2015
- “Let’s Go Gun Crazy: UT’s campus carry debate explodes” – Austin Chronicle – December 18, 2015 (This was the cover story for the December 18th, 2015 print edition)
- “Written in Stone: History of racism lives on in UT monuments” – Austin Chronicle – May 28, 2015 (This was the cover story for the May 28th, 2015 print edition)
- “Urban Rail: Which Way to Connect?” – Austin Chronicle – December 13, 2013 (This was the cover story for the December 13th, 2013 print edition)
- “Meet the Dallas Doctors Using Music for Therapy” – Dallas Observer – July 15, 2013
- “Online Privacy: Technical, Political, or Both?” – Austin Chronicle – March 27, 2014
- “Chance the Rapper Preached His Hip-Hop Blessings at The Bomb Factory” – Dallas Observer – October 17, 2016
- “-Topic Uplifted By Dallas Hip-Hop Community After Music Was Stolen With His Backpack” – Dallas Observer – October 11, 2016
- “Mac Miller Talks About Religion, Twitter and His New Album, Which is His Best One Yet” – Dallas Observer – June 25, 2013
- “The Best Bible Verse-Checks in the History of Rap” – On Faith – July 29, 2014
- “The 30 Most Disturbing Songs of All Time” – Phoenix New Times – July 18, 2016 (Versions of my article also appeared in the Dallas Observer and OC Weekly)