I’m a Plan II Honors, Religious Studies Honors, and History triple-major at The University of Texas at Austin, expecting to graduate in the Spring of 2016. I’m passionate about writing, politics, history, religious studies, music (especially hip-hop) and comedy.
As a writer, my works have been published in The Dallas Morning News, The Huffington Post, The Austin American-Statesman, Reason, Austin Chronicle, Dallas Observer, OC Weekly, OnFaith, Phoenix New Times and The Daily Texan, among other publications. Since I was first published in 2011, I’ve written over 150 articles covering a variety of topics, including politics, public transportation, poetry, food, music, religion, education, sports, history, and more. I’ve also written academic research papers, including “MCs & Marx: Examining Rap from a Historical Materialist Perspective,” which I presented at the 2015 Central Texas Colloquium on Religion.
For more information, check out my “About” section.
- “Urban Rail: Which Way to Connect?” – Austin Chronicle – December 13, 2013 (This was the cover story for the December 13th print edition)
- “Meet the Dallas Doctors Using Music for Therapy” – Dallas Observer – July 15, 2013
- “Online Privacy: Technical, Political, or Both?” – Austin Chronicle – March 27, 2014
“For popular rapper, an unusual calling card: sobriety” – The Dallas Morning News – February 14, 2014 (This Points column was highlighted as one of the DMN Editorial Department’s best works of February 2014).
- “Learning the lessons of rejection” – The Austin American-Statesman – May 18, 2013 (A version of this column also appeared in The Dallas Morning News)
- “Don’t go gentle into that good night” – The Daily Texan – October 5, 2012
- “Debate: Should Performance-Enhancing Drugs Be Legalized?” – Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine – October 17, 2013
- “Mac Miller Talks About Religion, Twitter and His New Album, Which is His Best One Yet” – Dallas Observer – June 25, 2013
- “The Best Bible Verse-Checks in the History of Rap” – On Faith – July 29, 2014
- “The 30 Most Disturbing Songs of All Time” – Dallas Observer – August 19, 2013 (Versions of my article also appeared in the Phoenix New Times and OC Weekly)
- “How Cynthia Fruth Became One of the Few Female Music Directors in The Catholic Church” – Dallas Observer – July 8, 2013